Inspiringyourspirit, whom I follow on WordPress, posted this list type today and I thought I’d have a go.
Here is my list,
- His Holiness, the Dalai Lama (next to me)
- My maternal grandmother, Lorna, passed away 1993
- My late father-in-law, passed away in late Feb 2013 aged 107, see post ‘Where to begin’
- Salman Rushdie, author in exile due to fatwa
- My anonymous sister down south, Somali, FGM and +HIV survivor, public speaker, translator/interpreter, ALL woman :).
- My sister Eve, see post ‘Sisterhood… as long as you are Zimbabwean’
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nigerian author (next to me), see Literature Review category
I really found it hard to think of people. I would just want to be around friends and a few intellectuals. I could give other lists, as we all could, but really I would want familiarity, context, creativity and connectedness. I’d like to be able to warmly hug each person that was there and feel a bond by the end of it. I think Salman Rushdie is a bit the odd one out however I’ve always had him on this list for the past 15 years or so and I am not ready to take him off. I absolutely adore Midnight’s Children and am fascinated by The Satanic Verses. I love the way everything, from scenes to characters, is compeltely interconnected and I’d like to know how to write like that. I think all the others, if you’ve read my blog or know me well, are fairly obvious.
What’s your list?